If you see two chins in the mirror, don’t fear. A double chin can happen to anyone, especially as we start to age.
When we get older, the amount of elasticity in our skin decreases and our neck muscles become weaker. When this happens, it can cause sagging and loose skin under our chin, on our neck and elsewhere on our face. This will give the appearance of having a double chin and make us look much older than we actually are.
Of course, being overweight is another reason that a double chin can present itself, but it is not always the case.
You are probably asking yourself, what can be done to remedy having two chins. There are a number of exercises and other methods that can help tighten up the skin. These movements can be done virtually any time you have a few extra minutes during the day, or you can also set a routine of doing them every morning and at night before bed time.
Let’s take a look at some simple exercises that will help firm up your two chins:
The following movement is a super simple exercise, that is recommended by Livestrong. This movement is very easy to remember.
- First, stand up with your back straight, with your arms hanging at each side. Lean your head back and look at the ceiling.
- While your head is back, pretend to kiss the ceiling. You will want to do this in an exaggerated form, by puckering and reaching your lips out as far as they will go.
- Hold this position for five seconds. Then, relax your face, put your head back to the starting position and repeat the movements thirty times.
The exercise listed below is similar to the Ceiling Kiss, so it should be easy to remember.
- Stand or sit with your back straight. Lean your head back and look at the ceiling.
- While your head is back, take your lower jaw and move it in an upward and forward motion, as far as it will go.
- Hold this position for ten seconds. Relax, move your head back to the starting position and repeat ten times.
Stick Out Tongue
This article reveals that doing the following exercise will strengthen the hyoid muscle, which causes loose skin under the chin.
- While keeping your lips relaxed, stick your tongue out as far as you can.
- Try to touch the tip of your nose with your tongue.
- Repeat this movement five times.
When you implement the above exercises into your daily routine, you will begin to see a difference in the way your chin looks. If you are diligent and keep up with these exercises, you will eventually see your two chins turn into one. You will have the definition in your jaw and chin area that you have been trying to achieve.
In addition to adding facial exercises into your lifestyle, there are other things you can also do to help you look younger.
A major factor in the way our skin ages is the food we eat. Keep a healthy diet of mainly green, leafy vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein. Avoid eating too much sugar and processed foods. The more natural your diet is, the better your skin will look.
Hydration is also a key factor in maintaining healthy, youthful looking skin. When we drink plenty of water, our skin is plumped and facial sagging is reduced.
Another important point that should be followed by everyone, is to always wear a sunscreen when going outdoors. This will protect your skin from the damaging ultra violet rays of the sun, which can cause premature aging, as well as cancer. Always wear sunglasses and a hat for extra protection.
For further reading, check out: Facial Tapping – What Are The Benefits And Does It Really Work? and Facial Yoga – The Best Exercises For Toning Facial Skin.